Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Social Scrutinies: TED - Ken Robinson

This is an old favourite from Feb '06 which I thought I would link in here. TED is a collection of riveting talks by remarkable people presented free to the world. If this isn't a signpost for a changing world then I don't know what is. I have spent hours devouring the thoughts, feelings and experiences of fellow humans who are just up to the full game of life. They are inspiring! Ken's lecture below on how Schools kill Creativity has stuck in my head for many years and forms part of the basis on which I relate to my sons.

Ken Robinson TED

To really value creativity on par with science and mathematics and business acumen is both liberating and humbling. I see people in all walks of life struggling and pushing through depression and 'deadness' to fit in with the way things are. Some find little avenues of creativity that let true pieces of themselves out to play but rarely do I see them fully self expressed. Those who do find full self expression often live on the fringe and remove themselves mostly physically sometimes psychologically from the rest of us in order to be free of the bonds that bind us. We are in a trap not of our own making. We have inherited it and live inside its walls as though it were real. TED I find opens the door here and there to show you what is possible beyond the barricades.

No comments:

Post a Comment